Ultimate guide to the best English lessons on Youtube
Technology is changing the face of ESL and it’s time throw away your dusty textbooks and get online!
The age of books and blackboards is making way for exciting new learning strategies and internet-based content is king. English lessons on Youtube are an essential part of this new ESL revolution and offer students a new way of engaging with the language. In this comprehensive study guide we review some of the best channels offering English video lessons online.
Today, the internet is fundamentally changing the way we learn by providing unrestricted access to a vast range of information. According to some sources, streamed video content now accounts for around 50% of all global internet traffic. This statistic shows that more people now prefer to receive information in video format than through reading large volumes of text. ESL is one sphere that has embraced this new trend with open arms. Learners can now opt for a more blended approach to study by incorporating English video lessons into their personal education plans.
Youtube has videos on just about every subject imaginable but it can take time to separate the good apples from the bad. In this comprehensive guide to the best English lessons on Youtube we’ve done the hard work so you don’t have to. Let’s get to the videos!
1) BBC Learning English on Youtube – This official BBC channel contains some great material on British English pronunciation as well as other interesting content covering a wide variety of subject matter. Lessons focus on everything from simple introductions to English grammar issues. Well worth a watch!
2) British Council Learning English on Youtube – Another well-known British educational establishment offering online video lessons for learners of English. Most content is aimed at younger and lower level learners but there are also videos (especially situational role plays) that may interest all students. English lessons mostly cover simpler aspects of grammar and vocabulary.
3) James (from Engvid) – Something of an internet celebrity, this American teacher has an engaging style and makes English video lessons with a touch of humour. His videos are for learners of varying levels (see tags) and provide information on modern American English usage. Lessons are conducted in front a whiteboard to improve understanding and retention.
4) Online Teachers UK – Our very own Youtube channel offering educational videos on a wide range of topics. Alex Jude (Head of OTUK) is a qualified British linguist and provides insights into modern usage as well as specific material on typical mistakes made by Russian speakers in English.
5) Dave Nicholls – Another experienced British English teacher. His video lessons primarily focus on grammar issues and vocabulary (especially phrasal verbs) but Dave also produces material to assist students with exam preparation. New English lessons are uploaded to Youtube each week so you’ll never need to wait long for the next instalment!
6) Anglo-Link – Long-established Youtube channel with plenty of lessons from Minno – a British English tutor. The main focus of this channel is on tricky aspects of English grammar and pronunciation. Some videos have been produced in collaboration with other native English teachers, which helps to develop a fuller understanding of the material covered.
7) Rachel’s English – American accent training from an experienced online teacher. Her video lessons will help you gain a good grasp of American English sounds and how they are produced (some theory involved). There are clear diagrams and Rachel presents her material in a clear and engaging style. Great for those who are learning American English.
8) Doing English with Julian – A rather eccentric Englishman offering video lessons on learning strategies, lexical distinctions, idioms and other confusing aspects of the English language. Some content is filmed when Julian is out and about, which adds a new dimension to his videos.
9) Chris Workman – Yet another eccentric Englishman eager to help the ESL world! In his video lessons, Chris explains about everyday English, including regional accents and slang usage. He also has several “sing-along” lessons in which he plays English songs on the guitar. Although his singing may not get him on MTV, his English study videos are certainly worth watching if you’re after something a bit different!
10) Collolearn – Dubbed by some “The American rapper-tutor”, this teacher has a unique style all of his own! Many of his Youtube videos use rap in the classroom to encourage students (some of whom look a little shocked!) to remember vocabulary through rhyme. An altogether unusual approach, but one that is certain to engage.
If you like our selection of Youtube English lessons, don’t forget to subscribe to the channels so you get updates on any new videos. Build these learning resources into your own study plan and watch a video a day to improve your English. You can also interact with other learners and teachers via Youtube comments.
Reading is one of the best ways to improve your English! In this study guide, we will explain how you can use simple novels to learn about English vocabulary, grammar and culture. Ready, bookworms? Let’s jump in! Continue reading